Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of multi-language learners’ needs, the structure of English, and second language acquisition process as well as Writing Center pedagogy and best practices.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- High proficiency in computer usage, including Microsoft Office & Google Drive.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality pertaining to student records.
- Effective presentation, public speaking, and facilitation skills.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- BA/BS degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, English (w/ TESOL specialization) or related field required.
- Master’s degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, English (w/ TESOL specialization) or related field preferred.
- Prior experience working in a Writing Center preferred.
- Experience teaching or tutoring academic English to multi-language learners preferred.
- Previous experience in a community college preferred.
- The job responsibilities of this position are performed in an office environment which requires a professional image and demeanor, on-time attendance and reliability. The environment has little, if any discomfort due to heat, cold or dust. There is light noise within the environment.
- There may be occasional travel to other college locations for meetings or scheduled work.
- Job duties may be performed in an independent or a team atmosphere.
- The job has intermittent periods during which continuous physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending, climbing, lifting material or equipment, some of which may be heavy or awkward (5- 45 pounds).
- Must meet reasonable and sometimes shifting deadlines, quotas, or demands for accuracy, and may be involved in some unpleasant situations.
- Typical work schedule is 8:00am – 4:30pm with flexible or extended hours as needed by department demands.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by a person so classified. Incumbents may be asked to perform additional duties as required by his/her supervisor.
MMCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.