Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of course content and understanding of Supplemental Instruction principles and group facilitation strategies.
- Ability to work with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills. Ability to facilitate collaborative learning activities, redirect questions, and explain course concepts and demonstrate effective study strategies.
- Basic writing and computer skills to document SI sessions and prepare session plans and summary reports.
- Ability to respond to students’ academic concerns in a courteous and respectful manner.
Education, Certification, Licensure:
- HS Diploma or Equivalent
- Completion of selected course(s) with a grade of 3.0 or above within the last three years
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for all college coursework
- Degree-seeking Mid Michigan College student enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits preferred
- At least two positive academic references (from faculty or staff familiar with student’s content-area knowledge, study strategies, and communication skills)
- Willingness to participate in SI Leader training and ongoing professional development sessions and monthly meetings
- The job responsibilities of this position are performed in a learning support facility, classroom, or lab, which requires a professional image and demeanor, on-time attendance and reliability. The environment has little, if any discomfort due to heat, cold or dust. There is light noise within the environment.
- There may be occasional travel to other college locations for meetings.
- There may be occasional travel for training or ongoing professional development.
- Duties are performed in an independent atmosphere without close direct supervision.
- The job has intermittent periods during which continuous physical exertion is required, such as walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending, climbing, lifting material or equipment, some of which may be heavy or awkward (5- 45 pounds).
- Must meet reasonable and sometimes shifting deadlines, priorities, or demands for accuracy, and may be involved in some unpleasant situations.
- Work schedule is determined by supervisor with flexible or extended hours as needed by department demands.
Note: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by a person so classified. Incumbents may be asked to perform additional duties as required by his/her supervisor.
Mid Michigan College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.